Monday, August 20, 2012

Monday Musings: Super Easy Pesto







So I made this PESTO sauce earlier this summer and gave it another attempt  today. I thought I'd share it because it's super easy and basic, which also means you can vary the recipe with ease.

To start you'll need: 
  • 3 cups basil leaves
  • 1/2 cup of nuts (pine nuts for the most authentic, almonds if you like them, and walnuts if you're a poor college kid like me)
  • 6 cloves of garlic (or the minced garlic equivalent... check your packaging)
  • 1 cup of olive oil (I usually end up replacing some of the oil with water to cut the calories in this)
  • 2 pinches of Cinnamon (original recipe uses nutmeg which I don't have in my spice cupboard.... it's called improvising. ha!)
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
I first toast the walnuts for 10 minutes in the oven. This is a trial and error portion of the recipe (the first time I did it I burnt them). For walnuts, I place them on a baking sheet and then toast for 5 minutes at 300 and then bump it up to 350 for another 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn them. If they start to smell sweet they're pretty close to done. Check out the third picture for coloration help.

After this I place all the ingredients in a blender... or a food processor (what's really the difference?). Blend until smooth and thick. Now, technically, you're done! Easy right? However I strongly encourage taste testing. Both times I've made this I added in some grated cheese, although I can't tell you how much. It was a "just dump some in" kind of thing. I also added a bit more cinnamon and pepper.

I love this recipe because of how easily you can change it without really messing it up. It's delicious!

(This recipe yields about 12 servings. I store mine in a mason jar in the fridge. It's great on pasta, sandwiches, pizza, and every other thing you can think of.)

Thank you to Rebecca who originally posted this recipe on Allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment